Sunday, April 3, 2011

Nick the Awesome Aussie

A couple of years ago I went on a trip with the “Social Studies Club” (aka the club for people who wanted to travel overseas) at my high school. For two weeks we traveled New Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii.

We had the best tour guide EVER.

Aussie men are either drop-dead gorgeous or butt-ugly. And the nice thing is that the butt-ugly ones have the best sense of humor I’ve ever found in guys my age.

I want to be Australian.




Nick told the best jokes and he was drop-dead gorgeous. Why he was piddling away leading a group of American tourists instead of simply basking in his own glory, I’ll never comprehend.

I didn’t dare flirt with him, though.  I was awfully shy (I know, *gasp*); and there was the whole he was twelve years older than me thing.

Nevertheless, he made the bus rides worthwhile.



When we arrived in Sydney, we were two hours early. This is better than being late, except for the fact that our hotel rooms weren’t ready yet. The manager stashed our bags in a storage room and promised to keep them locked up until we returned from our tour of the city.

After the tour, Nick called the hotel and they were still short a couple of rooms. My small social studies club decided to separate from the main tour group that was headed back to the hotel so we could go to the SkyTower. Nick told us he would take our bags from the storage room and keep them in his so there was less chance of anything getting stolen.

My friends and I ended up going to a pub for dinner after the SkyTower, and on our way home we passed a grocery store, so we stopped in to pick up some fruit. Before the fruit section, though, we passed the cookie isle, where our need for Tim Tams replaced our fear of scurvy. We rushed back to our rooms to try out the Tim Tam Rush for ourselves. [We’re totally ruled by our stomachs.] It wasn’t for a couple more hours that we remembered that all of our bags were in Nick’s room.



No one wanted to miss out on more Tim Tam time – except for Jill and me. As much as we loved us some Tim Tams, we were more psyched about a chance to see Nick outside of the bus.

On the way up to Nick’s room, we met the child of one of the other tour group members, Sarah. She was headed up for the same reason as us, so I didn’t feel entirely bad about showing up super late.




Sarah walked straight up to Nick’s door and banged on it. She was his best buddy on this trip and I was pretty envious of her.  We heard him yell “one moment” and then he opened the door.



You would have thought that out of all of us, someone would have called ahead to tell him we were on our way.











Jill and I were speechless.

Sarah was not. She looked at Nick, crossed her arms, and said quite patronizingly, “Put some clothes on.”

Nick slammed the door shut before Jill or I could protest.

Five minutes later he opened the door, tossed out our bags, and slammed it closed again.

We couldn’t stop giggling for the rest of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment